Churches and Abbeys in Castellina in ChiantiTHE PIEVE OF SAN LEONINO
The Pieve and village of San Leonino are in the municipality of Castellina in Chianti. The village dates back to the 13th century and was once called San Leonino in Conio. It was built around the age-old church, featuring a characteristic bell tower. Several renovation works in the course of the centuries have transformed the castle and donjon into a country residence.
THE CHURCH OF CISPIANO
The Church of Cispiano, in the municipality of Castellina in Chianti, is a well-preserved Romanesque church with nave. Close to the church, half hidden in the vegetation lay the ruins of the ancient castle of Montemano, which the Florentine destroyed in 1254.
THE ETRUSCAN GRAVE OF MONTECALVARIO
The Etruscan grave of Montecalvario is in the municipality of Castellina in Chianti. The hypogeum dates back to the 7th-6th centuries BC and is just a few hundred metres from the walls of Castellina. It is one of the most important Etruscan findings in the Chianti region. The tumulus measures 50 metres and houses four graves, which have been ravaged several times. Nonetheless, many interesting pieces have been found in Montecalvario.
THE NECROPOLIS OF POGGINO
The necropolis of Poggino, in the municipality of Castellina in Chianti, is an archaic Etruscan necropolis that has been recently discovered in Poggino, about 1 kilometre from Fonterutoli. It houses five aristocratic graves. Some of the pieces found in the necropolis are now exhibited in the archaeological museum in Castellina.
Area Photos by Panoramio
YourWaytoChianti.com do not own or control these photos.
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.
SCHOOLS AND COURSES