Churches and Abbeys in San Casciano Val di PesaTHE CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA DEL GESU'
The Church of Santa Maria del Gesù, in the municipality of San Casciano Val di Pesa, dates back to 1638 and has been re-built after it was destroyed during World War II. Since 1989 it has hosted the Museo Vicariale d’Arte Sacra, which houses all the works of art collected from the many churches that dot the vicariate of San Casciano. Some of these works, such as the "Madonna in Throne" (1319) - the first painting signed and dated by Ambrogio Lorenzetti - a dossal decorated with the "Stories of Saint Micheal Archangel" (1250 ca.) by Coppo di Marcovaldo and a sculpted alabaster fust (12th century) by the Master of Cabestany with scenes of the nativity and the bath of the Virgin, are real masterpieces.
THE CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA AL PRATO
The Church of Santa Maria al Prato, in the municipality of San Casciano Val di Pesa, is also called Church of the Misercordia and was built in 1304 by order of the Dominican Fathers. In origin the church was all frescoed, as demonstrate the traces of a fresco in the central arch. The church features a nave and four side altars. It houses very valuable works of art, such as a Crucifix by Simone Martini (1321-1325 ca.) decorating the second altar on the right, a wooden Crucifix dating back to the 1470 ca. and a statue representing Pergamo by Giovanni di Balduccio di Pisa (1336-1339) in white and green marble. The altar of the presbytery is decorated with a Madonna with Child by the Sienese painter Ugolino di Nerio and two paintings by the same author representing Saint Peter and Saint Francis.
THE PIEVE OF SAN PANCRAZIO
The Pieve of San Pancrazio, in the municipality of San Casciano Val di Pesa, is an interesting example of Romanesque architecture with some Lombard elements. The bell tower is on the left side. The Pieve houses a wooden Crucifix dating back to the 17th century, a Crucifixion by Santi di Tito and a "Virgin Nursing the Child" attributed to Cenni di Francesco, included in a painting by the school of Santi di Tito with a 16th-century "Nativity".
THE PIEVE OF SANTO STEFANO A CAMPOLI
The Pieve of Santo Stefano a Campoli, in the municipality of San Casciano Val di Pesa, has existed since the 10th century and has maintained its original exterior structure. The porch was added in the 17th century. The church has a nave and two side aisles and features square pillars and whitewashed archways decorated with stuccos dating back to the 18th century. It houses a 16th-century "Madonna with Child and Saints" attributed to Franciabigio, a Crucifix of the 16th century decorating the main altar and a painting dating back to the 15th century and representing a "Madonna with Child and Infant Saint John".
THE PIEVE OF SAN GIOVANNI IN SUGANA
The Pieve of San Giovanni in Sugana, in the municipality of San Casciano Val di Pesa, stands 232 metres above sea level close to the hamlet of Cerbaia. It is mentioned in a document dated 1019 as "Pieve di Soana". The existing church (12th-13th centuries) consists in a nave housing some interesting works of art, such as a terracotta representing the Pietà by Benedetto and Santi Buglioni and a polychrome terracotta attributed to Santi Buglioni that decorates the main altar. Worth to mention is also the wooden pulpit dating back to the 16th century.
Area Photos by Panoramio
YourWaytoChianti.com do not own or control these photos.
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.
SCHOOLS AND COURSES